Saturday, June 25, 2011

Sikh Soldier of the Indian Army



© Capt Suresh Sharma. All Rights Reserved.


MORE IMAGES OF THE INDIAN ARMY


While working as the main photographer for the coffee table book www.flickr.com/photos/wildhiss/2318550787/ of the Indian army, I got an opportunity to photograph Sikh soldiers of the famous 2nd Battalion of the Sikh Regiment. This Regiment has won the much coveted title `Bravest of the Brave' of the Indian Army. I am told that the 2nd Sikh has the highest number of gallantry awards in the Indian Army. They are fearless and fierce soldiers. It is taken as a matter of great pride to command theses soldiers. While I was posted in Sri Lanka, as part of the Indian Peace Keeping Force, I had interacted with these soldiers quite on many. I found them totally different than other soldiers. There are numerous hair raising stories of their acts of gallantry. They live and work with great pride, which most of the Sikhs do in the civil as well.

While I was visiting the Battalion for photography, Col Karan Mahanjan was the commanding officer, whom I found as a great soldier with very high spirit and enthusiasm, which a CO of any Sikh Battalion should have. he never said no to any of my requests to organise special shoots. Its hard to find such soldiers today. I have such high level of veneration for these brave soldier that I find it hard to express in words. To reciprocate their support to the coffee table book and to honour their soldierly spirits, I have offered to the Battalion my services free for any kind of photography they need to preserve the Battalion's heritage.

The 2nd Sikh Battalion has the distinction of winning 22 Battle Honours.


I salute them all !

CAPTAIN'S WEBSITE

SIKH PHOTOGRAPHY

MORE IMAGES OF THE INDIAN ARMY

No comments: